Video source: UNISDR
“Disaster risk is increasing with every passing day. Poverty, rapid urbanisation, climate change – these and other factors are leaving people and communities ever more exposed.” – UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon
Workshop on theme Mainstreaming Climate Change Adaptation and Disaster Risk Reduction for Sustainable Development
will be held in Crisis Management State Academy.
This capacity building training workshop, while promoting the importance of effective climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction, will provide:
1) an opportunity for cities and local governments in Armenia to enhance capacities in climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction with a focus on countries/ cities Resilience Action Plans development and implementation.
2) a platform to exchange in-depth learning from experts in the related area and to share good practices among participants
3) a venue for city-to-city cooperation in building resilience in cities by integrating disaster risk principles into local DRR and CCA planes, programmes and initiatives
In cooperation with the Crisis Management State Academy of the Ministry of Emergency Situations (CMSA of MoES) of the Republic of Armenia, UNDP, OSCE and DRR National Platform, a training course on implementation of the Local Level Risk Management (LLRM) organized for the representatives of the Aarhus centres of Armenia is being held on November 13-16 in Tsaghkadzor. The aim of the training is:
• to provide members of Aarhus centres with Local Level Risk Management (LLRM) knowledge and expertise in purpose to conduct LLRM further processing / utilization in Armenia jointly with DRR National Platform.
• to strengthen the capacities of Aarhus centres in disaster risk reduction (DRR) in order to enhance awareness of local communities.
The objectives of the training are:
1. Introduce purpose, generation and structure of the LLRM Module /Manual
2. LLRM implementation / format: the achievements and gaps
3. Present DRR piloted projects in 5 communities; evaluation outcomes
4. Present DRR Mainstreaming into community / local development plans (sectoral planning)
5. Present Community Risk Management Certificate
6. Present communication and awareness DRR related issues and objectives.
Training organizers are:
– Crisis Management State Academy of MoES,
– DRR National Platform;
– UNDP “Strengthening of National Disaster Preparedness and Risk Reduction Capacities” Project;
– OSCE, Rec Caucasus;
– ‘’Lore’’ Rescue team
Four days training is organized and conducted with the theoretical and practical parts.
It is expected that by the end of the training each participant will:
• Have a clear understanding of the LLRM and utilization;
• Gain knowledge on how to proceed the VCA;
• Have an understanding of how to use VCA tools and obtain / analyze information on hazard /vulnerability / capacity data,
• Gain knowledge on community development planning and appropriate tools,
• Have an idea in regard to risk reduction measures / small projects.